This project aims to contribute to the transformation of Iraq’s agriculture sector through sustainable food and agricultural livelihood security of Iraq’s rural and peri-urban population in Ninevah Governorate where farming is the backbone of their income generating activities. This project responds to the destruction caused by ISIL in the governorate of Ninevah, which disrupted people’s livelihood by destroying their assets and other capital, reducing income resulting in enduring poverty.
The evaluation will cover the key interventions of this project which aimed to contribute to enhancing the entire agricultural value chain in the governorate of Ninevah through sustainable food and agricultural livelihood security of rural and peri-urban population in this area.
The main interventions support
- Vulnerable smallholder crop and livestock farmers with i) strengthening and rehabilitating vegetable production and marketing systems; ii) developing small-scale dairy and agri-food processing, marketing and micro-enterprise systems; and iii) Improving small-scale, backyard small ruminant fattening systems; and
- Smallholder crop and livestock farmers with v) increasing availability of quality cereal and legume seeds; and vi) improving small-scale animal fodder production, conservation and marketing systems developed.
Efficient water management was integrated into all of the relevant outputs.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the OED Evaluation Officer responsible for project evaluations of emergency and resilience projects and with day-to-day supervision and collaboration with the OED Evaluation Specialist.
As part of the overall project evaluation, the consultant will conduct an in-depth analysis of the entire agricultural value chain (focus on livestock and dairy value chain) in the governorate of Ninevah to showcase its contribution to the intended outcome: improving food and agricultural livelihood security of Iraq’s rural and peri-urban population in Ninevah Governorate.
Tasks And Responsibilities
The office of evaluation will guide this evaluation. Under the guidance of the team leader, the consultant responsibilities are to:
- Work in close collaboration with the Evaluation Team Leader and the OED Evaluation Specialist;
- Review relevant background documentation made available by OED and the project team;
- Liaise with relevant project team members and stakeholders to understand better how the project enhanced agriculture value chains in the governorate of Ninevah;
- Review the inception report (including the evaluation matrix) prepared by the team leader and provide technical inputs relevant to the agricultural (livestock/dairy products) value chain in depth analysis.
- Prepare the field work, data-collection tools, questionnaires, checklists and interview protocols as appropriate, under the supervision of the Team Leader;
- Conduct the collection of primary data as planned and identified in the inception report and evaluation matrix, under the leadership of the Team Leader through, inter alia, interviews and meetings, face to face or virtual, with FAO Iraq Country Office concerned officers, key stakeholders including the Government, the FAO Representation, external partners, project teams and ultimate beneficiaries as appropriate.
- Prepare the agricultural value chain (livestock/dairy products) in depth analysis mentioning key findings, lessons learned and recommendations.
- Dissemination meeting:
- Contribute to the preparation of the presentation reflecting the main findings (including those related to the agricultural value chain).
- Participate in the dissemination meeting and the discussion with stakeholders.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agricultural value chain management (livestock/dairy products), agricultural research or other relevant areas;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in conducting evaluations, assessments on agricultural (livestock/dairy products) value chains.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and Arabic (writing and speaking).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in Iraq and other countries in MENA region.
- Work experience in agricultural (livestock/dairy products) value chain.
- Extent and relevance of experience in evaluating project focused on agricultural value chain (livestock/dairy products).
- Extent and relevance of experience in qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Sound understanding of the functioning of UN agencies and the UN system is considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports (in English).
Call For Expressions Of Interest – Vacancy Announcement
22/Feb/2023, 10:59:00 PM
Type of Requisition
30 days over a period of 5 months
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.