Chemonics is an international development consulting firm that promotes meaningful change to help people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives. Chemonics’ mission is driven by our commitment to service – to our mission, our beneficiaries, and clients, and our staff. Working under contract with USAID and other aid donors, Chemonics designs and implements development projects in many of the world’s developing countries.
The Iraq Durable Communities and Economic Opportunities (DCEO) is a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) program implemented by Chemonics International in Iraq. DCEO aims to support vulnerable communities to build community resilience against destabilizing factors by increasing their adaptive capacity and economic well-being. The project consists of two objectives. Objective 1, Adaptative capacity of vulnerable communities increased is achieved through two components. Component 1.1 seeks to mitigate drivers of conflict in targeted communities and Component 1.2 seeks to enhance community leadership of inclusive local development. Objective 2, Economic well-being of communities advanced, will rest on the assessments, analysis, foundations, and groundwork of Objective 1.
Task Order 2
The Agriculture Specialist will support EO in their engagement with several Agri firms across Iraq that cover different aspects of the agriculture value chain in general. Tentative support will be to poultry (broilers and layers), day-old chick rearing, input supply firms (feed, equipment, veterinary care), farms irrigation systems, and main crop cultivation. The advisor will provide broad support in the (1) engagement of new agri-businesses; (2) work with existing farms or firms to review and analyze operations for effectiveness; (3) contribute to the development of the Technical Brief (TB), Client Growth Plan (CGP), and Sectoral Growth Plan (SGP) for agri-businesses; and (4) consult with Business Counselors, clients, and DCEO procurement on specifications for machinery and equipment.
Task Order 3
The Agriculture Specialist will support the Durable Communities team to assess value chains in target locations to identify gaps and opportunities while providing recommendations, design, and technologies to increase intervention impact. The advisor will support the implementation of the agriculture-related activities for the Durable Communities task order. The support from the advisor will be critical to the technical design of activities and increase the impact of project activities.
Task Order 2
- Act as the key advisor in the agriculture businesses and livestock for TO2, including but not limited to aspects of crop cultivation, on-farm management, feed supply, processing machinery, equipment, irrigation systems, and hydroponic systems.
- Assist the TO2 team in identifying agriculture and livestock value chain actors for potential engagement – identification of new firms/farms.
- Evaluation of identified potential clients with the most promising growth opportunities, conducting baseline analysis and expected impact on employment and revenues, identifying constraints affecting growth, and providing descriptions of technical assistance needed.
- Contribute to the technical analysis of the Technical Brief, Client Growth Plans, and Sectoral Growth Plans when needed.
- Support the procurement team on the development of specifications for different production machinery such as ventilation, irrigation systems, heating, feed and watering systems, and hydroponic systems.
- Provide firm-level technical assistance to client firms, specifically on production processes and on-farm management. In other cases, the advisor will consult EO on additional expertise, and be involved in the recruitment of hyper-specialized professions, should it be required as part of the TAB and the CGP/SGP.
- Provide guidance on specific constraints that affect the agriculture sector in general, such as automation, cultivation, feed mills, and veterinary issues, among others. Highlight shared challenges and sectoral impediments that can be cause for advocacy.
- As requested by the line manager, Conduct workshop(s) for the EO team and/or external stakeholders on the agriculture sector in Iraq.
- Other related duties as assigned by the EO PSD Specialist.
Task Order 3
- Support the analysis of target community value chains to increase the impact of Durable communities’ livelihood activities
- As instructed by the Livelihoods Specialist, the Agriculture Specialist will undertake assessments of value chains in target communities and deliver technical inputs to refine activity design
- Support the procurement team on the development of specifications for different machinery as needed.
- Conduct training for Durable Communities team members and target communities as requested
- Other related duties as assigned by the Livelihoods Specialist
Required Travel: 25% (within Iraq)
Working Hours: 40h a week / 8h a day.
- Minimum 6 years of work experience in the Agriculture Sector, including areas of crop farming, Livestock, irrigation systems, poultry, feed, Hydroponic, fish farming, and agricultural machines/equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, Business Administration, or any related field. A Master’s degree is preferable.
- Language skills: Fluent in Arabic and English are required; the Kurdish language is a plus.
How To Apply
To apply, please visit:
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Note: We will be reviewing the CVs on rolling basis and the position can be filled even before the closing date.