Terms of Reference
BUILDING A ROSTER OF EXPERTS IN NORTHEAST SYRIA
CALL FOR CVs
Expertise France (EF) is a public agency created on 1st January 2015 and merging 6 French public agencies under the supervision of the French Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economy and Finance with a strong inter-ministerial vocation. EF offers programme engineering and technical assistance by developing and implementing international cooperation actions worldwide. EF operates in various fields of development and institutional cooperation including safety and security reform, post-crisis/ stability, public health, human rights, strengthening of institutions and NGOs and governance.
The Syrian conflict is having a devastating and lasting impact on Syria and across the region. With the conflict almost entering its ninth year, the needs of the affected populations for assistance, including 13.1 million people inside the country and more than 5.6 million refugees plus their overstretched host communities in neighboring countries, are of an unprecedented scale. In 2013, the Syria crisis has transformed itself from a humanitarian emergency to a multidimensional and protracted crisis directly affecting several countries in the region – mainly Lebanon and Jordan, but also Iraq, Turkey and Egypt – whose social and economic capacity to deal with the ever growing influx of refugees is all but exhausted. All actors involved in the response agree that this massive challenge requires a comprehensive regional response not only including humanitarian aid but also longer-term structural support to host countries and communities, especially as no political solution to the crisis is in sight in the short-term.
Many communities inside Syria are facing disrupted humanitarian support and quickly deteriorating public services and infrastructure. In that context, and since 2013, Expertise France has developed and manages direct stabilization projects to conflict-affected communities in Syria, in particular through support to civil society organizations.
- NORTH-EAST SYRIA: PROJECT DEVELOPMENT
Expertise France (EF) has been implementing direct non-humanitarian assistance programmes in Syria Since 2013. In this framework, EF develops and manages direct stabilization projects to conflict-affected communities in Syria through support to NGOs and CSOs with whom EF builds strong partnerships. Expertise France’s fields of intervention cover the following sectors: agricultural support, economic recovery, vocational training, and health.
Expertise France is about to start a new project in North-East Syria. It aims to contribute to improving the livelihoods of Syrian by supporting the progressive recovery of essential services and economic activity and the reinforcement of civil society in NES.
This project will follow a holistic approach in the design of activities, taking into account the links and exchanges between sectors, local areas, and stakeholders. Targeting one location with a multi-sector approach will maximize the impact by having a positive effect between activities (rehabilitation, vocational training, agricultural support, etc.) and act as potential leverage for sectors not directly targeted by the project (education and child labor, growth of the local private sector, etc.). The activities will be carried out locally by CSOs and CBOs.
The project will focus on:
- Improving access to essential services.
- Contributing to creating income-generating opportunities.
- Building capacity of partnered CSOs/CBOs.
It will include but not be limited to the following activities:
1) rehabilitation of networks (electricity, water, etc.), public infrastructure (schools, parks, etc.), clearing of facilities, etc. ;
- a) agricultural and food security (provision of inputs, seeds, livestock development, agricultural engineering, quality standards, environmental principles, etc.) ;
- b) technical vocational and educational training (providing trainings, access to expertise, start-up finance for businesses, income generating activities) ;
3) civil society organization mentoring, follow-up, institutional and organizational capacity building.
- Building a Roster of Experts
Expertise France is looking to build a roster of experts, compiling a list of CVs and contact information for trainers and experts in the following fields:
- Agriculture support, extension services
- Climate change and adaptation techniques
- Food security
- Civil engineering, rehabilitation of structural equipment
- Public electric system, electrical networks and grids
- Gender mainstreaming
Candidates should indicate in the object of their email, for which of the specialties mentioned above their CV are suited to.
Experts applying to be part of the roster should be based in north-east Syria, or have easy access to north-east Syria.
The main tasks to be conducted by experts during the lifetime of the project are described in the next section.
- Support review and design of activities expressed by implementing partners
- Support the selection of projects when relevant to their specialties
- Assess the training needs of partners.
- Coordinating with project officers and project managers to gather training requirements from partners.
- Design training curriculum and training plans to ensure performance objectives are met.
- Develop training materials including PowerPoint presentations, handouts, scenarios, exercises, and other documents.
- Deliver trainings according to the training plan.
- Travel to client organization sites to assess training needs and deliver training.
- Develop and implement training assessments to ensure knowledge and skill retention.
- Design pre-post test assessments for each training
- Prepare attendance registers for every training session conducted.
- Follow up on activities on demonstration plots and ensure they are implemented timeously.
انشاء قائمة الخبراء في شمال شرق سوريا
Qualifications & Skills
- Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge:
- Relevant university degree in their field of expertise
- Experience in building staff capacity technically.
- Good analytical, writing and reporting skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken in Arabic, good command in English is an advantage.
- Willingness and ability to provide remote training to local partner organizations.
- Ethics and values: demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Development and innovation: take charge of self-development and take initiative.
- Work in teams: demonstrate the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- المهارات الفنية والخبرة والمعرفة:
- درجة جامعية ذات متعلقة في مجال خبرتهم
- خبرة في بناء قدرات الموظفين فنياً.
- مهارات جيدة في التحليل والكتابة وإعداد التقارير.
- الطلاقة في الكتابة والتحدث باللغة العربية، والجيد الإتقان باللغة الإنجليزية ميزة.
- الرغبة والقدرة على تقديم التدريب عن بعد للمنظمات الشريكة المحلية.
- الأخلاق والقيم: إثبات الأخلاق والنزاهة والحفاظ عليهما.
- التطوير والابتكار: تولي مسؤولية التطوير الذاتي وأخذ زمام المبادرة.
العمل في فرق: إظهار القدرة على العمل في بيئة متعددة الثقافات والأعراق والحفاظ على علاقات عمل فعالة مع الناس من مختلف الخلفيات الوطنية والثقافية
How To Apply
Only applicants who apply as per the below details will be shortlisted.
- The positions are not to be recruited at the moment, but it is to collect pool of CV’s for consideration as per the needs of the project in the future.
- Deadline of submission: 31st March 2023 23:59
- All applications must include the following (In English and in PDF format only) :
- Detailed CV
- Cover Letter (explaining suitability for the position)
- Applications should be sent to [email protected] , using the following subject: “Open call for CV_NES ”
- Expertise France reserves the right to close the announcement prior to the stated deadline as applications are screened on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Incomplete applications and wrong title formats will not be considered