Power Generation Senior Mechanic
POWER GENERATION SENIOR GENERATOR MECHANIC
The Power Generation Senior Mechanic will be based at one of three Amentum sites in Iraq. The Power Generation Senior Mechanic will be responsible for the operations and maintenance of the electric power generation facility and the medium voltage electric distribution system. The electric power generation system consists of Caterpillar power generators, medium voltage paralleling switchgear system, PLC controls, fuel tank farm, fuel distribution, station electrical services, ventilation system, control consoles and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems and bulk fuel storage supply systems, and 11 kV electric distribution system. The Power Generation Senior Mechanic must take appropriate actions and decision making within a variable/changing environment to ensure safe, efficient and sustainable facility reliability and availability to meet full life expectancies. Operations are expected to be 24/7/365.
The Power Generation Senior Mechanic will report to the Power Generation Supervisor and work closely with the Post Facility Manager. The additional duties and responsibilities below are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive. Periodic travel may be required for work on projects at other locations in Iraq. Percent travel will vary but on average is expected to be less than 10% of the total time.
Reports to: Power Generation Supervisor
The incumbent will work in a traditional office setting within the power facility as well as construction and maintenance sites including exposure to the dangers inherent with traveling to and working at such sites. Work is reviewed through conferences, written reports, and an analysis of the efficiency and effectiveness of the power generation operations.
This position may be located in a war zone, in an environment with harsh and dangerous working and living conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be exposed to extreme and austere desert-like environment. Employees must be willing and able to perform physical activities and able to lift and carry 40 to 50 pounds of personal protective equipment for extended periods of time and being capable of running in the case of an emergency without putting oneself or others at risk.
The incumbent will work ten hours/day six days a week minimum, participates in a duty phone rotation and must respond to all power generation facility related after hours call outs.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
- Performs all hands on routine inspection, preventative maintenance, condition monitoring, troubleshoots, corrective and emergency repairs on Caterpillar 2.6 MW and Caterpillar, 350 KW generator sets and associated local control systems and Caterpillar SCADA system with Dell/Rockwell computer servers and interface controllers in working order. Diagnose problems and then repair/replace defective parts as required.
- Performs hands on electrical maintenance and repair of power production electrical and mechanical and auxiliary systems of power generation facilities operating at 30MVA and greater total output with diesel driven prime movers.
- Performs hands on inspects, operates, and maintains the paralleling and main medium voltage switchgear systems, Eaton VCP-W, with local and remote monitor and metering capabilities, SCADA and PLC control systems, alarm response to ensure maximum system reliability.
- Performs hands on inspects, and tests fuel receiving and distribution system including tanks, pumps, leak detection, fuel distribution and inventory, scheduling orders, and reporting.
- Makes periodic hands on inspections of building’s machinery and equipment. Responsible for the condition of machinery in operation or available for operation. Responsible for having units available when called upon for load. Responsible for the overall physical appearance and condition of equipment, buildings and grounds. Reviews repair work for proper performance. Comply with and practice proper equipment shutdown, startup and lockout/clearance procedures.
- Reviews and approves recommendations concerning alterations and improvements to the power generation facility. Reviews and approves blueprints, drawings, plans, and specifications relating to installation and repair of power generation equipment.
- Responsible for data collection and power generation facility record keeping of various systems in operation according to prescribed schedules. Maintains all owner preferred equipment configurations and scope changes. Interprets system operations readings and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
- Inspects operational activities for safety precautions and instructs employees against occupational hazards. Responsible for employee conduct and compliance with all safety policies, regulations and compliance with all OSHA and NFPA requirements.
- Coordinates environmental testing, required permitting and compliance activities with the Department of States designated representative. Responsible for operation of the power generation facility within all environmental and regulatory requirements and constraints.
- Supervise, manage, and schedule multi-skilled level operations and maintenance team members, power generation operators, power generation mechanics and electrical switchgear and relay technicians and administrative/support personnel.
- Completes performance evaluations, implements training programs, addresses grievances, and administer disciplinary actions as required to subordinate multi-national employees.
- Maintains technical library and record-keeping which documents all procedures necessary to accomplish assigned responsibility.
- Responsible for facility custodianship of work area, hand, power, and shop tools.
- Responsible for department communications activities – attend/participate in department meetings. Identify department risk/liability and develop work plans to manage ongoing risks as it relates to the operation of the power generation facilities, power delivery and power quality. Be able to articulate concerns and forward to Department of State management.
- Responds to emergency calls regarding power generation equipment breakdowns and unit outages. Ability to interpret and apply required corrective action with data readings and results of equipment checks to identify equipment or process problems and take appropriate responses to correct or resolve problems.
Minimum Acceptable Experience And Qualification Levels
- Must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in inspecting, operating, monitoring, maintaining, and repairing multi-diesel driven generator power generation facilities with an output capacity of 30MVA or greater.
- Hands on inspect, test, and repair components of electrical systems to include generators, transformers, transfer switches, switch gear, PLC controls, and fuel monitoring and delivery systems.
- Education: A high school diploma or GED plus related technical training.
- Valid drivers’ license from home of record.
- Must provide copies of training certificates in the Fundamentals of Electrical Safety based on NFPA 70E standards. This training must have been completed one year prior to the start of the contract.
- Must have Caterpillar and Eaton factory certification specific to the equipment installed.
- Must have certification as a Diesel Powered Generator Technician with 10 years’ experience performing maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of generators from 20 kW to 3200 kW.
- Experience with CAT documentation and software (CAT ET and SIS).
- Hands on knowledge and experience with hand, power, and shop tools of the trade.
- Knowledge of Caterpillar specifications and acceptable trade practices.
- Knowledge and experience regarding occupational hazards for electrical and mechanical trades, related safety practices, and skill required for the installation, maintenance, and repair of power generator systems and equipment.
- Basic knowledge and trained with current certification of First Aid & CPR.
- Must rescue an injured victim from an electrical conductor.
- Must know Lockout/Tagout Procedures.
- U.S. Citizenship is required for this position.
- Must have an active SECRET level security clearance and have the ability to maintain.
- US Department of State, Medical Services, Medical clearance, Class 1, as required.
Required Skills And Competencies
- Must be experienced in details and management of electrical power distribution and diesel engine maintenance and ability to troubleshoot down to a component level.
- Must be familiar utilization with computerized maintenance management system (CMMS). PM systems, logistics, and energy conservation.
- Must possess current training and able to demonstrate general knowledge of industrial safety and environmental regulations, including compliance with OSHA and NFPA70E requirements, personal protective equipment use and lock out tag out procedures for electrical, mechanical and fluid systems and controls.
- Ability to read, comprehend/understand and apply information contained in manufacturer equipment manuals, facility document including drawings and specification, operation and maintenance manuals, standard operating and emergency response procedures, material safety data sheets, etc.
- Ability to interpret and apply required corrective action with data readings and results of equipment checks to identify equipment or process problems and take appropriate responses to correct or resolve problems.
- Specific understanding and knowledge of power generation equipment startup and shut down and basic equipment maintenance procedures as they relate to the power generation equipment and/or auxiliary operator. Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling and working outdoors. Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
- Must have knowledge of use and proper application of Personal Protective Equipment.
- Must have oral and written communication skills sufficient to produce employee evaluations and written reports for upper management and to brief upper management on project status.
- Intermediate skill level with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel is required, high level is preferred.
Working And Living Conditions
This position may be located in a war zone, in an environment with harsh and dangerous working and living conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be exposed to extreme and austere desert-like environment. Temperatures can reach 120- 130 degrees Fahrenheit/50-55 degrees Celsius during the summer months. Employees must be willing and able to perform regular job requirements in this austere, extreme environment, as well as willing and able to deploy to Iraq for extended periods. Work schedules are a minimum of 6 days per week and 10 hours per day, while some jobs have higher daily and weekly minimums. Employees must be willing and able to perform physical activities including, but not limited to, heavy lifting and moving of items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum; climbing in and out of equipment; crawling; and working outdoors. This includes being able to lift and carry 40 pounds of personal protective equipment for extended periods of time and being capable of running and ‘duck & cover’ during emergencies without putting oneself or others at risk.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Amentum is a drug-free workplace.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
To apply for this job please visit pae.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.