Terms of Reference
Program Manager (Iraqi Nationals Only)
Syrian American Medical Society Foundation (SAMS)
Erbil or Dohuk, with travel to other areas of KRI/Iraq as needed
Head of Mission
6 months, with possibility of extension contingent on new funding
The Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) was founded in 1998 in the United States as a professional society to provide networking, educational, cultural, and professional services to medical professionals of Syrian descent. SAMS Foundation, the charitable arm of SAMS, was launched in 2007. Since then, SAMS has become one of the most active medical relief organizations that is working on the front lines of crisis relief in Syria, neighboring countries, and beyond. SAMS has established field hospitals, intensive care units, dental and primary care clinics, birth and newborn care facilities, mobile medical units, and dialysis centers. Additionally, SAMS has provided mental health and psychosocial support as well as organized specialized medical missions to Syria’s neighboring countries and beyond. In 2017, SAMS established operations in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI), and has also since obtained registration to implement activities in Federal Iraq. At this time, SAMS seeks to expand its presence as a valuable health actor, in response to unmet needs among refugees, IDPs, and host communities in both KRI and Federal Iraq.
SCOPE OF WORK
SAMS seeks a dedicated humanitarian professional with substantial experience in program and business development for six months contract (renewable depending on availability of funds), working closely with programs and operations staff at SAMS Headquarters, Regional and KRI offices. The primary focus of this contract will be to develop health, medical education, mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) Gender Based Violence (GBV) programs, as well as building the capacity of local partners, while building relationships with donors/NGO partners, in order to obtain funding for implementation of such programs.
- Lead development of relevant, evidence-based, impactful, and cost-effective health, medical education, GBV, and MHPSS programs for refugees, IDPs, and host communities in KRI/Iraq and North East Syria (NES), working closely with programs, and operation staff in SAMS KRI, Regional, and Headquarters offices
- Coordinate needs assessments, as part of planning and development for new programs
- Coordinate mapping and relationship-building efforts with institutional donors, UN agencies, and NGO/CBO partners, with the aim of securing grant funding
- Lead in-country proposal development for KRI/Federal Iraq and Northeast Syria, to include drafting proposal narratives, log frames, risk registers, budgets and budget narratives, with support from the KRI Health, MEAL, Finance and Operations Coordinators, working closely with the HQ-based Senior Program Officer, Program and Business Development Manager, and Director of Programs
- Support Head of Mission in representing SAMS during bilateral and multilateral meetings with donors, local government, and NGO/CBO partners related to refugees, IDPs, and returnees’ health and cross-sectoral issues in Iraq and expansion of SAMS services in this field
Program Management and Donor Compliance
- Serve as grants management function, coordinating monthly update of spending pipelines, work plans, indicator tracking tables, etc. for all projects
- Coordinate preparation of timely internal and external programmatic and financial reporting to donors and Headquarters
- Oversee monitoring and capacity-building support for sub-recipients, from the pre-award, through post-award and close-out phases;
- Ensure adherence to donor regulations, through delivery of trainings for colleagues and partner staff, grant kickoff meetings, in close coordination with Headquarters
- Support preparation for internal and external audits
- Support Safeguarding Focal Points to effectively carry out their duties, in coordination with Headquarters
Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in relevant field
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with HQ and Regional Office
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in developing and implementing programs funded by major donors, such as U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, USAID/BHA, ECHO, FCDO, GIZ, UN agencies, etc.
- A background in managing health/MHPSS/GBV programming is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of donor and partner landscape in Iraq and Northeast Syria
- Experience of developing health, MHPSS and/or education programs is preferred
- Problem-solver and creative thinker, with proven ability to work as part of a team to achieve desired results
- High coordination skills and ability to work with various teams spread over various countries and time-zones
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with fluency in verbal and written English and Arabic; knowledge of Kurdish language preferred
- Stellar proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letter to the email address [email protected], before the deadline.
Successful candidates should meet the education and experience requirements in the position descriptions for the vacant positions.
Please, indicate on the subject of the email as the title of the position you are applying for.
Potential candidates for the post will be contacted for an interview and processed according to SAMS Human Resources policies and procedures. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for potential interview.