Expertise France (EF), the French agency for international technical cooperation, coordinates and implements projects on a national or regional scale in the main areas of public action. It operates as a subsidiary within the Agence française de développement Group. In 2023, with a portfolio of over 35 million euros, the Culture and Heritage Division of Expertise France plays a crucial role in not only safeguarding and restoring cultural heritage but also in effectively promoting local touristic and commercial assets. These efforts are aimed at enhancing the overall quality of life for local residents.
Committed to strengthening the institutions of partner countries, supporting the transformation of organizations, and enhancing the skills of cultural and heritage actors, EF leverages local and international technical expertise, both from the public and private sectors in order to foster peer-to-peer dialogue, encourage know-how transfer activities and provide innovative and tailored made solutions. Through its role as an implementing agency, Expertise France has a broad multi-partner network of universities, training centers, national museums, cultural institutions and ministries, heritage architects, as well as experts in preservation, restoration, and digitization affiliated with local or international NGOs.
To meet the needs of its partners, Expertise France develops an approach tailored to the context and local specificities and implements a variety of technical and institutional cooperation actions: feasibility studies, project management assistance for restoration works, strengthening the legal framework for protection, training in preventive conservation techniques, cultural mediation, 3D numerization and site animation, among others.
Located in the Kurdistan, Amedi is 1,400 meters above sea level in a high mountains landscape. The town is about 70km away from Duhok, capital of the province. Located on a rocky outcrop, the town of Amedi is visible from kilometers, especially from the road leading from Duhok. The city and its district have a particularly rich heritage that has unfortunately suffered from a lack of resources, repeated conflicts and a long period of neglect that have left the site in a degraded state. The aim of the Architectural Rehabilitation Project and Creation of a Heritage Trail in Amedi is to create a living heritage space in the heart of the historic city and its immediate surroundings.
The archaeological research and documentation, the stabilization of the remains, as well as the implementation of an educational/tourist signage and a heritage trail will allow this site to attract new visitors, and give the inhabitants of the region the opportunity to rediscover its historical and cultural wealth. In order to meet the specific objectives of the project, Expertise France will implement several architectural rehabilitation and local governance support activities.
In that context, Expertise France aims at looking for a Project Manager based in Erbil within the Expertise France office.
Under the responsibility of the head office of Expertise France in Paris (Heritage and Culture division from the Sustainable and Inclusive Economy department), the project manager ensures the overall coordination and operational implementation of the project activities. Based in Erbil, he/she will be responsible for the supervision and coordination of the project team supported by short-term experts, as well as the headquarters team. The project manager will work closely with the EF team based in Erbil which will provide support on purchases and security issues.
The main responsibilities of the position, and the core competencies required include:
- ROLE AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Represent Expertise France locally with the project’s institutional partners;
- Coordinate the overall project activities;
- Ensure the coherence of the programming of activities in relation to the contractual objectives of the project, in relation with EF headquarters;
- Coordinates the implementation of the activities and the respect of the operational planning and calendar;
- Coordinates contractual reporting to the donor: ensure the follow-up of deliverables, participates in the preparation of the financial report,
- Draw up terms of reference (TOR) for the experts mobilized and manage the related consultancy assignments;
- Ensure quality control of project deliverables;
- Ensure project monitoring and evaluation.
2/Administrative and financial management
- Ensures consistency between budgetary and operational planning;
- Controls the quality of the overall administrative and financial monitoring of the project and regularly reviews the commitments, disbursements and budget forecasts for EF;
- Supervises the internal reporting to the head office (financial monitoring, forecasts and budget closures) and ensures its consistency;
- Follow-up of human ressources (timesheets, invoicing, etc.);
- Monitor compliance with procurement procedures (services, supplies, works, etc.) and contract performance;
- Supervise financial audits.
3/Institutional and partner relations, governance and reporting
- Assume direct responsibility for the proper conduct of institutional relations with partners and stakeholders in line with the project’s objectives;
- Ensure the proper governance of the project, ensure the proper circulation of information and integrate each player in a relevant and balanced way, according to their respective roles;
- Organize and supervise Steering Committee (COPIL) meetings, and ensure that these governance bodies are as constructive and effective as possible in achieving project results;
- Ensure the project’s complementarity with other national and multilateral initiatives on the theme, and develop synergies;
- Prepare interim and final activity reports (narrative and financial), according to contractual terms and deadlines.
4/Managing communication / project visibility
- Participates/represents EF in events;
- Oversees in project monitoring and evaluation and project communication.
5/Participation in project capitalization and evaluation
The Project Manager will report directly to the Head of Culture and Heritage division in Paris, and work in close coordination with the program and support teams, and EF staff.
The position is based in Erbil and ONLY for candidates holding a valid residency and work permit in Iraq.
- CORE COMPETENCIES
- Coordination and Project management: excellent interpersonal communication skills; coordination, networking and liaison with public and private sector partners; and ability to undertake culturally- sensitive community engagement.
- Monitoring and Quality control: strong understanding of the project management cycle, focusing on key performance indicator (KPI) tracking, reporting, and knowledge management.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The qualifications and experience required for the position are as follows:
- At least 10 years of experience in the field of international cooperation and project management. Experience in the field of heritage rehabilitation and cultural project management would be an asset.
- Mandatory fluency in Arabic, Kurdish and English (written and spoken).
- Good Computer Literacy: English Typing, Email Communication, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Excel.
How to apply
This position is only for applicants who can secure their own stay in Erbil.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Interested candidates may submit their CV’s along with a motivation letter setting out how you meet the requirements to the following link : https://expertise-france.gestmax.fr/10288/1/project-manager-amedi-iraq-h-f/en_US
- Expertise France reserves the right to close the announcement prior to the stated deadline. Applications are screened on a rolling basis.
- INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Deadline: 31 Jan 2024