The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity, and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC established programs in Iraq in 2003 to address the overwhelming needs of displaced people in Iraq and the neighboring countries. Since re-establishing its presence in Iraq in November 2007, the IRC has been assisting thousands of internally displaced families in the northern, central, and southern governorates in the sectors of protection, gender-based violence (GBV), education, economic recovery, Child Protection, and emergency humanitarian assistance. Working in coordination with the humanitarian community in Iraq, the IRC’s assistance and emergency programs address the needs of war-affected Iraqi internally displaced persons (IDPs) and Syrian refugees from several operational bases in the country and include both camp-based and urban-based assistance. IRC operates throughout Iraq, with the main office in Erbil and field offices in, Baghdad, SAD, Anbar, and Mosul.
The Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Manager will be responsible for overseeing the WPE program in Ninawa governorate, directly implementing and through a local partner in Mosul and Sinjar. She will be responsible for the implementation of daily project activities for the implementation of daily projects activities providing supervision and directions to the WPE team. She will provide supervision and direction to the WPE program team, emphasizing coaching and mentoring staff to build their capacity. She will also collaborate with key staff in Protection and Child and youth Protection, and work with the WPE Senior Program Manager and Coordinator to achieve the managed growth of IRC’s WPE programming in Mosul governorate. The WPE Manager will report to the WPE Coordinator and Field Coordinator.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership to the project team and the local partner and oversee successful implementation and coordination of protection and empowerment programs to support vulnerable women and girls.
- Support partner/s in the management of Women and Girls Safe Spaces (WGSSs), ensuring adherence with SOPs and guidelines and provision of quality services to the women and girls registered in the WGSSs;
- Develop work plans, oversee implementation or program, and track indicators to measure progress;
- Ensure compliance of program operations with guidelines and IRC’s global programming principles;
- In collaboration with the Senior WPE Manager and WPE coordinator, develop and undertake assessments as required by the program work plan, as well as relevant monitoring and evaluation to inform additional WPE programming needs and design;
- Supervise the provision and quality of trainings for local partners and staff on GBV basics, basic counseling, case management, life skills, and other key GBV resources for partners, community members, and service providers;
- Provide ongoing technical support, mentoring, and guidance to project staff and partners to ensure programming meets GBV best practices and guiding principles;
- Support the WPE Senior Manager and WPE coordinator in liaising with high-level government officials, UN and other stakeholders to ensure support for the program and coordination;
- Undertake other relevant tasks as requested by the WPE Senior Manager and WPE coordinator.
- In coordination with WPE Senior Program Manager, WPE Coordinator, DDP, Grants Unit and HQ Technical Unit, contribute to developing proposals and concept notes for expanding IRC’s WPE portfolio in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Prepare internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats.
- Manage the project budget; oversee all budget expenditures and ensure they are allowable and allocable according to IRC and donor regulations; review monthly Budget vs. Actual and expenditure sheets, feed corrections back to Finance. Bring any over/under expenditure issues to the attention of the Senior WPE Manager and the WPE Coordinator in a timely manner and support the development of corrective plans.
- Collaborate with Field Coordinator and other operations staff to ensure that the GBV program is properly supported and that all activities are conducted according to IRC HR, Logistics, Finance and other policies and procedures;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including community members, NGOs, government authorities and UN agencies;
Staff Management and Development
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development
- Direct supervision of Sr. WPE Program Officers, and indirect supervision to all Mosul staff, including WGSSs staff
- Discuss job expectations, set objectives and provide appropriate and timely feedback regarding performance, including timely implementation of the annual staff performance management system.
- Clearly define the training needs of direct reports and ensure they can access training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to perform in their positions including staff development plans successfully.
- Provide leadership support for the successful implementation of and adherence to the IRC Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: WPE coordinator
Position directly supervises: WPE officer
Indirect Reporting: other WPE staff
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: operation and other departments
External: local actors, international actors, UN agencies and local authorities.
Qualifications & Skills
- Education: Master’s degree in social work, Gender/Women Studies, Public Health, or other appropriate fields; or a BA in a related field with equivalent experience;
- Work Experience: Minimum of 4 years of program management experience in the field of gender-based violence response, preferably working with refugees or conflict-affected populations;
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Language Skills: Fluency in spoken/written English and Arabic, Kurdish is a plus.
- At least 2 years experience working directly with survivors or developing, implementing or supervising shelter programs for survivors;
- Strong understanding of case management, psychosocial support and life skills programming to promote survivor healing and recovery;
- In-depth understanding of the roots causes of GBV, related international standards, and GBV prevention and response strategies;
- Proven leadership, program management, staff development, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Competency in writing progress and donor reports and proposals; familiarity with principles and practice of monitoring and evaluation;
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email/internet software.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including maternity leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Per the Iraqi Ministry of Health COVID-19 guidelines, IRC requires candidates who are selected for positions to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter IRC premises. However, the exemption is only accepted per the Iraqi Health regulation and upon the provision of a negative PCR test.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Notice to all Job Seekers
IRC implements an equal employment opportunity policy, and our recruitment process is based on merit.
Applicants and/or successful interview candidates (both internal and external) are not required to pay any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
If anyone asks you for any financial or non-financial favors to help you secure a job at IRC, kindly report to [email protected].
ملاحظة لكل الباحثين عن وظيفة
تعتمد لجنة الانقاذ الدولية سياسة فرص عمل متساوية وان عملية التوظيف لدينا تعتمد على الجدارة .
لايتوجب على المتقدمين لاي وظيفة او المؤهلين للمقابلات (سواء كانوا موظفيين حالين او متقدمين من خارج المنظمة) دفع اي مبلغ مالي خلال اي مرحلة من مراحل التوظيف.
اذا قام اي شخص بطلب اي خدمة مالية او غير مالية لقاء مساعدتكم في تأمين فرصة عمل داخل المنظمة ،يرجى الابلاغ عن ذلك الى [email protected]
How To Apply
Please click on the below link:
The Closing date is: March 5, 2023
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply