Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights
The Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights is seeking applicants for the position of Program Officer at its Kirkuk branch in Iraq.
Position: Program officer
Status: 25 hours/week
Reports to: the Program coordinator, head of the program, and Center manager
Required Degree: Minimum Bachelor’s degree
Application Deadline: February 23, 2023
About Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights:
Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights is a non-governmental and non-profit human rights organization headquartered and registered in Erbil, Iraq, and Berlin, Germany, as well as registered in Qamishlo, North-East Syria. Since 2005, Jiyan’s primary task has been to provide holistic rehabilitation services, including mental health care, medical treatment, and legal support for survivors of human rights abuses – at first only in Iraq and since 2019 also in North East Syria (NES). Furthermore, in Iraq, Jiyan implements human rights education for children and adolescents, offers spaces for social cohesion and interreligious and interethnic dialogue, facilitates training and capacity building, and is active in rights and justice through lobbying and advocacy on the political level. Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights has implemented a large number of projects in the fields of trauma care and health, democracy and civil society, training and capacity building, as well as rights and justice over the years with the support of a large range of international donors and partners.
Summary of the position:
Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights is implementing its ongoing project to ensure that people of different religious and ethnic backgrounds living in Northern Iraq who experienced war, discrimination, and displacement engage with each other in an interethnic and interreligious dialogue and have knowledge about basic children‘s rights and how to gain it. The democracy and civil society program officer will deliver the message of children‘s rights, social cohesion, and peaceful coexistence to the targeted children and adults in Kirkuk city.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- The program officer will be responsible for providing sessions in Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights’ “Human Rights Education program” for children aged 6-16 in schools, camps, and institutions about children’s rights based on the United Nations Convention on the rights of the child and a Manual developed by Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights.
- Providing sessions in the Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights’ “Dialogue Program” for participants from different religions and ethnicities in Kirkuk city and working to increase social cohesion in the region.
- The program officer will facilitate discussion in the small groups regarding children’s rights, religion, ethnicity, conflict, and how to solve it.
- Presenting seminars for teachers and parents regarding children’s rights and advocating for them.
- Coordinating and facilitating public panel discussions with representatives from different religions and ethnicities with the support of the program coordinator.
- Field visit with the participants of the dialogue program to religious and/or cultural cities of different communities in the city.
- Reporting of the mentioned tasks using KoboToolbox.
- Attending team meetings and being in regular contact with the team members from different Jiyan branches.
- Strong commitment to presenting diversity as a richness and motivating participants to attend all the sessions.
- Supporting the finance department in the logistics works of the sessions.
- Any other task that will be assigned by the mentioned supervisors.
- Bachelor Degree in social and political sciences or related fields.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in coordinating, facilitating, and presenting seminars in NGOs.
- Strong presentation and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of the context of Iraq and the Kurdistan Region of Iraq religious and ethnicity-wise and eager to learn.
- Ability to react and deal with difficult situations and circumstances.
- Genuine believe in the idea of peaceful coexistence and human rights including children rights.
- Ability to present the program to different and external stake holders in the region.
- Knowledge of the religions, ethnicities, and background of the communities living in Kirkuk city specifically, and in Iraq generally.
- Fluency in Kurdish and Arabic and intermediate level of English is required. Fluency in English is a plus.
- An active team player and contribute ideas to develop the program.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Participation in professional training and seminars
- Working in an international and dedicated team, with the opportunity to travel
- Paid holidays (24 days for the full-time position) plus 15 statutory holidays. Additional paid holidays, especially on the occasion of religious festivals, may be agreed upon
- Voluntary pension scheme with employer contributions
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter outlining your previous work experience and your motivation and CV (both in English) via this form: JOTFORM link https://form.jotform.com/230424549496463
Please note that applications that do not meet the requirements or that are incomplete will not be considered!
The Jiyan Foundation for Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer, and we particularly encourage women to apply for this position.
Deadline : 2023-02-23source: NCCI