The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity, and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC established programs in Iraq in 2003 to address the overwhelming needs of displaced people in Iraq and the neighboring countries. Since re-establishing its presence in Iraq in November 2007, the IRC has been assisting thousands of internally displaced families in the northern, central, and southern governorates in the sectors of protection, gender-based violence (GBV), education, economic recovery, Child Protection, and emergency humanitarian assistance. Working in coordination with the humanitarian community in Iraq, the IRC’s assistance and emergency programs address the needs of war-affected Iraqi internally displaced persons (IDPs) and Syrian refugees from several operational bases in the country and include both camp-based and urban-based assistance. IRC operates throughout Iraq, with the main office in Erbil and field offices in, Baghdad, SAD, Anbar, and Mosul.
Job Overview/Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Coordinator Protection and Rule of Law, the Senior Coordination & Capacity building Officer will be primarily responsible for coordination with government stakeholders and NGO partners in Baghdad. The Senior Officer will supervise the work of IRC’s current and future implementing partner NGOs. The Senior Coordination Officer is also expected to provide technical assistance (advice and analysis) to PROL stakeholders and provide recommendations in close consultations with the PROL management. The Senior Officer will lead the partner NGOs implementing protection and rule of law projects of IRC and will ensure compliance with IRC’s legal assistance SOPs. The Senior Officer is contributing to technical capacity building of the partners in line with IRC’s PEERs principles. The Senior Officer will coordinate closely with IRC’s Policy Advocacy & Communications (PAC) and Governance teams and ensure that the government engagement team is aware of all coordination activities taking place with federal authorities. Administratively, the Senior Officer shall report to the Field Coordinator Baghdad/Anbar A highlight of the position’s main goals and objectives.
- Support drafting program technical tools and guidance to support partner’s legal capacity and program quality.
- Deliver regular workshops (in-person and online) and meetings with partner’s legal team
- Support partner organizations in the recruitment of legal team members
- Provide any other technical guidance aimed at enhancing the legal program quality
- Maintain open and professional relations with partner members, promoting a strong them spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Developing the partner’s legal program, providing support and high coordination, and following up on targets
- Provide technical guidance and capacity building to partner’s lawyers to ensure quality service delivery, compliance with IRC’s Legal Assistance SOPs and Detention SOPs, Iraqi Law, observing client confidentiality guidelines and the lawyers’ compliance with their financial procedures.
- Provide direction and monitor partner NGOs lawyers’ Team in implementation of the work plan and quality of technical activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and achieve timelines
- Support partner NGOs Legal Team Leader and lawyers in ensuring clients securing the necessary civil documentation, HLP, personal status, family law, detention and HLP documents required to access humanitarian assistance, basic entitlements, and services.
- Oversee accurate information and case management of legal program, ensuring lawyers store their files securely, and maintain their casefiles in the case management system in an accurate and timely manner, carry out quality control and advise on corrective measures if applicable.
- Carry out spot checks and audits of case files as random to ensure they contain all the necessary documentation including receipts, legal services agreement, case closure forms, receipts, court documentation including submission documents and final documents.
- Ensure the partner lawyers team & LTL are treating the clients with the highest degree of respect and dignity, clearly explain the legal options to the client and make themselves available to be contacted by the clients
- Follow up with partner Legal TL to provide weekly and monthly reporting of the number of legal cases, legal counselling, awareness raising activities, court representations, etc, and reports to the PRoL Manager/ Deputy Coordinator.
- Database development, and capacity building of lawyers by providing continuous support.
- Provide regular de-briefings to the PROL Coordinator/ Deputy Coordinator on progress and recommendations on interventions and strategic direction of legal aspects of programming.
- Coordinate closely with the government stakeholders including Parliamentary Development Institute, Iraqi High Commission on Human Rights, Iraqi Bar Association, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Interior, Law Schools, Supreme Judicial Councils, General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers, Presidency of the Republic, and Baghdad Governorate offices on IRC’s legal and policy interventions to ensure smooth implementation.
- Assist the PROL management in providing legal advice and analysis to government departments for legislative and policy reforms
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings with sub-clusters and working groups covering Baghdad, as per request of the Deputy Coordinator Protection & Rule of Law.
- Closely coordinate with IRC’s PAC and Governance and other program teams to share information and build synergies.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Coordinator/Deputy Coordinator Protection and Rule of Law
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Deputy Coordinator, Protection & Rule of Law
Position directly supervises: NA
Indirect Reporting: Field Coordinator Anbar/Baghdad
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: PAC, Governance, and other program teams
External: Rule of law, protection & justice sector departments, ministries , bar, NGOs
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience of legal practice
- INGO experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of best practice and ethical legal service delivery
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility
- Must be computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Experience in building capacity of team members through coaching and mentoring
- Ability to work as a member of a team essential and promote teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment.
- Positive, professional attitude, organized and prioritizes work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Holder of a valid passport.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Language Skills: Arabic (native) , English (good)
- Certificates or Licenses: Member of Iraq Lawyers Syndicate
- Bachelor’s degree in law
- At least 3–6-year experience in practicing law (Practitioner degree) in various case types.
- Experience of working with INGOs on projects focusing on protection, justice, human right, governance and rule of law , consortium management
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including maternity leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Per the Iraqi Ministry of Health COVID-19 guidelines, IRC requires candidates who are selected for positions to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter IRC premises. However, the exemption is only accepted per the Iraqi Health regulation and upon the provision of a negative PCR test.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Notice to all Job Seekers
IRC implements an equal employment opportunity policy, and our recruitment process is based on merit.
Applicants and/or successful interview candidates (both internal and external) are not required to pay any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
If anyone asks you for any financial or non-financial favors to help you secure a job at IRC, kindly report to [email protected].
ملاحظة لكل الباحثين عن وظيفة
تعتمد لجنة الانقاذ الدولية سياسة فرص عمل متساوية وان عملية التوظيف لدينا تعتمد على الجدارة .
لايتوجب على المتقدمين لاي وظيفة او المؤهلين للمقابلات (سواء كانوا موظفيين حالين او متقدمين من خارج المنظمة) دفع اي مبلغ مالي خلال اي مرحلة من مراحل التوظيف.
اذا قام اي شخص بطلب اي خدمة مالية او غير مالية لقاء مساعدتكم في تأمين فرصة عمل داخل المنظمة ،يرجى الابلاغ عن ذلك الى [email protected]
How To Apply
Please click on the below link:
The closing date is: February 23, 2023