This position will report directly to the Associate Director of Wellness Center.
The Student Mental Health Counselor provides counseling services and programming designed to help students in the AUIB learning community improve their emotional wellbeing and develop the personal skills needed for successful university life. Services include crisis intervention, problem-solving, evidence-based psychotherapy and mental health counseling, psychological assessment, psychiatric referrals, and education and prevention programs. This newly created position will be a key player in ensuring that the AUIB Wellness Center is accessible for students in the upcoming spring 2024 semester and that students will have access to the mental health services that they need. The Wellness Center will initially have a primary focus on the offering of counseling and psychological services but will also offer student accessibility services as well as act as a campus safety center where students will be able to report their concerns, seek emergency help, or go for crisis intervention.
Areas of Accountabilities: Main Activities
- Providing clinical services (intake, individual, group, and emergency/crisis counseling, and individual assessment), outreach and consultation services, training, light administrative duties.
- Maintaining an active caseload of weekly counseling clients, for students.
- Providing an ongoing program of personal, substance use, psychological, crisis intervention, and other types of counseling services to the students.
- Accepting referrals from staff and faculty for students suspected of experiencing emotional, psychological, or personal difficulties.
- Collaborating with faculty, staff, and/or University offices (HR and line managers) to support employee wellbeing.
- Providing input for professional staff development programs for the Departments of Student Life and Student Services, and other University divisions or departments.
- Assisting in developing and facilitating wellness programming for residence halls and First-Year Experience classes on relevant topics as needed. Topics may include substance abuse, sexuality, relationships, depression, and stress management.
- Assisting in designing and coordinating programs for faculty and staff on identifying and dealing with students struggling with substance abuse, depression, hostility, family problems, etc.
- Assisting in the coordination of care for students who are receiving mental health treatment off-campus.
- Designing and conducting special interest counseling groups as needed focusing on mental health needs of the student population (e.g., substance use, relationship issues, sexual assault, academic pressures, etc.)
- Preparing and maintaining treatment records, reports, and other required documentation while ensuring the confidentiality of all student information.
- Providing programs and resources in support of AUIB-wide wellbeing initiatives.
- Fulfilling other duties as assigned.
A: Educational Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or equivalent, full licensure by the relevant licensing authority for psychotherapy/counseling services
B: Minimum Experience:
- No less than 2-3 years of counseling experience
C: Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Additional licensure in clinical addictions counseling is preferred.
- Evidence of the ability to work effectively and collegially in cross-functional teams.
- Evidence of ability to participate in planning and participating in cross-functional collaboration regarding holistic student wellbeing.
- Evidence of strategic thinking and leadership.
- Ability to speak and work in both English and Arabic.
Application Requirements for Positions at the American University of Iraq—Baghdad
To be considered for any role at the American University of Iraq—Baghdad (AUIB), applicants are required to submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter: This should detail how your skills and experience align with the specific requirements of the position you are applying for.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Please provide an up-to-date resume or CV.
- Identification: A valid national ID or passport is required for the application process.
- Please note that applications missing any of these components will not be considered.
If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will need to provide additional documentation:
- Educational transcripts and certifications must be translated into English.
- References: You must provide contact details for three references. These individuals should be those who have either worked with you or supervised your work.
We look forward to receiving your complete applications and appreciate your interest in joining our dynamic team at AUIB.
To apply for this job please visit New%20URL.