This position will report directly to the University President
Job Title: Vice President of Research
Department: Office of Research
Job Summary: The Vice President of Research plays a critical leadership role in advancing the research agenda of AUIB. This position is responsible for providing strategic direction, oversight, and coordination of all research activities within the university. The Vice President of Research works closely with faculty, staff, and external partners to promote a culture of research excellence and innovation.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive research strategy aligned with the university’s mission and goals.
- Identify emerging research trends and opportunities and guide the university’s research priorities accordingly.
- Foster a culture of research excellence, integrity, and collaboration across all academic departments and disciplines.
- Oversee the Research Office and all university research operations.
- Develop university research themes and foster new research initiatives.
- Delegate regulatory responsibility to appropriate university units.
- Oversee all research centers, institutes, and appropriate shared or core research facilities.
- Oversee research partnerships with industry, government, and partner institutions.
- Represent the university at appropriate research initiatives/collaborations and programs.
- Represent the university on the appropriate national and international research committees.
- Communicate and report on the state of the research enterprise.
- Develop and ensure the maintenance of policies and procedures and fiscal responsibilities for the Research Office and all pre- and post-grant award activities.
- Ensure university membership in the appropriate professional research associations.
- Oversee the outstanding faculty and student research awards
Research Funding And Grants
- Identify and pursue external funding opportunities, grants, and partnerships to support research activities.
- Provide guidance and support to faculty in the preparation and submission of research grant proposals.
- Oversee the administration of research grants, ensuring compliance with funding agency requirements.
Human Research Participants
- Ensure the University’s human research participant protection program
- Ensure stakeholders and affiliates have adequate resources and appropriate oversight
- Receive and assess reports of non-compliance
- Place limitations or conditions on an investigator’s or research staff’s privilege to conduct human research
- Ensure that University officials cannot approve human research not by one of the Institution’s IRBs
- Disallow research approved by the Institution’s IRB or an external IRB
- Execute the education and training of personnel in support of an ethical human research participants program
- Execute a humane and ethical animal welfare program in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Communicate non-compliance to appropriate regulatory bodies
- Execute the education and training of personnel in support of humane animal care and use
- Establish a university animal care and use committee
Research Safety and Integrity
- Support compliance of all government environmental, health, and safety regulations
- Ensure the education and training of personnel in safe research practices
- Promote a culture of research integrity
- Ensure secure and ethical data use, data confidentiality, and compliant data management, sharing, ownership, and retention practices
- Promote compliance for responsible and ethical conduct of research professional development and training requirements
Patents and Inventions
- Promote and support a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship
- Oversee policies and procedures on royalties and royalty sharing
- Oversee the office of IP
- Ensure high quality and high volume of research applications
- Oversee the grant application priorities and submissions
- Engage with the government and industry to establish partnerships for sponsored research
Faculty Support And Development
- Collaborate with academic departments to recruit, retain, and support research-active faculty.
- Promote faculty development in research, including mentoring, training, and facilitating interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Recognize and reward outstanding research achievements among faculty.
- Research Infrastructure and Resources:
- Ensure the availability of state-of-the-art research facilities, equipment, and resources for faculty and students.
- Manage and allocate research space and resources efficiently.
- Application Requirements for Positions at the American University of Iraq—Baghdad
To be considered for any role at the American University of Iraq—Baghdad (AUIB), applicants are required to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter: This should detail how your skills and experience align with the specific requirements of the position you are applying for.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Please provide an up-to-date resume or CV.
- Identification: A valid national ID or passport is required for the application process.
- Please note that applications missing any of these components will not be considered.
If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will need to provide additional documentation:
- Educational transcripts and certifications must be translated into English.
- References: You must provide contact details for three references. These individuals should be those who have either worked with you or supervised your work.
We look forward to receiving your complete applications and appreciate your interest in joining our dynamic team at AUIB.
To apply for this job please visit New%20URL.