The engineer will be responsible of the school rehabilitations under education projects: funded by Education Cannot Wait. The engineer based in Erbil and must be willing to travel to the covered locations Koya, Shaqlawa. The rehabilitation works will be implemented in the span of 4 months (April-May -June-July 2023 ) the engineer will need to participate also in the assessment of needs, preparation of relevant documentation e.g. BOQs, designs, monitoring, reporting and quality control checks through regular follow-up of construction works. The engineer will also be involved in the formulation of the greening component of the two rehabilitations, which entails the plantation of trees in the areas surrounding the schools to increase resilience to heatwaves.
1. Preparation of Documentation for engineering project
- Planning and conducting technical assessments in targeted areas, collecting field data; writing reports and providing advice based on the conclusions drawn.
- Providing inputs for or preparing rehabilitation and construction works of schools, wash, water distribution system, and all other engineering works in PIN, plans in coordination with relevant stakeholders (e.g. Directorate of Education, partners, clusters, communities…etc)
- Preparing bills of quantities (BoQs) and designs; providing input and performing quality checks for relevant procurement; supervising/coordinating/monitoring the delivery/distribution of materials and construction process.
- Preparing corresponding documentation and periodical/ad hoc reports, depending on needs.
2. Overseeing Engineering Projects
- Overseeing and ensuring the planning, scheduling, and implementation of the technical components of projects, in compliance with DoE and any other authorities needed PIN procedures, standards, and safety codes and other applicable legal regulations.
- Conducting site inspections on a regular basis. Monitoring and evaluating rehabilitation and construction works in accordance with the accepted plans and other relevant documentation. Operating adjustments depending on needs and based on consultations with the relevant stakeholders, team members and project/programme manager.
- Coordinating with the project team members, project/programme managers and other relevant actors in the area.
- Coordinating with school management structures
- Liaison with external stakeholders, including partners and donor, with regard to the rehabilitation, construction and any other engineering projects components.
- All of the above-mentioned points of duties and tasks are applied and committed by the engineer with any other engineering project inside PIN and within the engineer’s unit and their mentioned duties
GENERAL EMPLOYEES OBLIGATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Employer stipulates the right to assign the Employee any other kind of work derived from his specialization. In case of urgent work and such like the Employee may be asked to work overtime as well as during public and other holidays.
- Adhering to all PIN policies and procedures at all times including those stipulated in National Staff Handbook, Child Protection Policy, Security Standard Operating procedures, etc.
- Punctual attendance to work including both working hours in the assigned office and schedule field trips if applicable
- Ensuring timely and effective delivery of tasks
- Correctness and completeness of given tasks
- The Employee takes over the responsibility for all entrusted material or cash. The Employee is obligated to cover all damages or losses caused by his carelessness. The Agreement of Liability of Assets has been signed separately.
- Prompt providing of all relevant information to their supervisor
- Maintain confidentiality of all information gained from employment within not publically available
- Archiving of all entrusted and acquired documents in proper manner
- Representing and upholding the values of People in Need at all times
- Behave in appropriate manners at all times and in all places
Qualifications & Skills
- At least two year of work experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Fluency in written and spoken English , Kurdish and Arabic, excellent writing and reporting skills
- Excellent skills in MS Word and Excel
- Experience in school rehabilitations is highly preferred
- Potentially WASH experience in school, experience with NGOs
- To be able to plan rehabilitations in an inclusive way (taking into account needs for persons with disabilities and gender
- Relevant educational and professional background in civil engineering (previous experience in school rehabilitations preferred)
- Strong coordination skills with proven ability to work across multiple technical areas simultaneously supporting multiple staff members
- Up-to-date technical knowledge
- Good communication skills
- Experience in monitoring progresses in order to deliver timely results
- Punctuality and attention to detail
- Experience in working with local governments and in NGOs contexts
- Knowledge of the security situation and context in the targeted locations
- Experience in management of people and supervision of construction works
- Experience in writing relevant documentation e.g. BOQs and designs meeting safety standards and relevant specifications
- Excellent communication skills, highly organized, result-oriented
- Responsible and reliable
- Ability to work under pressure, proactive, timely and independent working style
- Good understanding of community participation and ability to communicate with impact and respect
- Ability to deal with complex situations and solve related issues
Analytical and planning skills
Team management and leadership
How To Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by latest 1st March 2023 via a link:
only shortlisted candidates will be contracted.