Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst e.V. (forumZFD)
forumZFD, also referred to as Forum Civil Peace Service, is a German, non-profit-making, politically independent and non-denominational peacebuilding organization, which supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as ten other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy. forumZFD is recognized by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
forumZFD Iraq is based with its main office in Erbil-KRI and is implementing peacebuilding programme in KRI and Republic of Iraq with the main focus on conflict transformation measures. The overall objective of forumZFD is to contribute to peaceful coexistence among the diverse populations group in northern Iraq. forumZFD Iraq is in need of a national Project Officer who can support and assist to implement its peacebuilding measures.
Description of roles and responsibilities
The project officer works under the direct supervision of the Country Director Iraq (his/her line manager) and exercises planning and implementation of peacebuilding and social cohesion activities.
The project officer will contribute to the implementation and development of forumZFD´s peacebuilding programme in northern Iraq. Under the supervision of the Country Director the project officer will ensure that the tasks are accomplished in a timely manner according to the agreed timeline, budget and adhering to forumZFD policy and Do-No-Harm principles.
Activities and Tasks
- Assist forumZFD Iraq to plan, implement and develop its peacebuilding programme in KRI, Ninewa and Baghdad Governorates.
- Support to coordinate, initiate and implement specific activities related to peacebuilding, conflict resolution mechanisms and social cohesion activities with children, youth, women, men and communities within the framework of the forumZFD peacebuilding strategy.
- Assist with conceptualization, planning and development of project activities in the area of conflict transformation, capacity building, supporting dialogue processes and organisational development.
- Support project planning, monitoring and evaluation (PM&E) processes within forumZFD.
- Support in conducting conflict analyses and analyse the peacebuilding needs of communities in the area of intervention.
- Report on the peacebuilding activities and ensure that lessons learned are shared and documented to maximize the impact and contribution to future programme strategy and direction.
- Support the development of action plans, work plans.
- Perform administrative tasks related to the implementation of the project.
- Contribute to project implementation and documentation while applying forumZFD standards
- Conduct field visits to collect relevant information and insight on project activities and conduct monitoring visits.
- Assist with the financial planning and documentation at project level.
- Identify capacity-building needs and provide peacebuilding training to staff, beneficiaries, key stakeholders and partners as necessary.
- Provide staff with support and up-to-date advice on developments and challenges in project implementation together with any necessary recommendations for action.
- Contribute to the communication, relationship building, networking and maintaining strong relationships with partners, government officials and with key stakeholders.
- Support relevant logistic and admin processes for project design and implementation.
- Act as translator and translate needed documents if required.
In addition to the above, the project officer/coordinator may be asked to carry out other related duties as requested by the supervisor based on need and agreement.
The main duty station of the project officer is Erbil, KRI. Frequent travel to other offices in Ninewa and Baghdad Governorate as well as other areas of interventions are required. The project officer will be responsible to organize all logistical arrangements and his/her own accommodation in Erbil.
- University degree in Peace and Conflict Studies, Political Sciences, International Development, Social Sciences, Social Cohesion, Law or relevant subject
- Experience in designing and implementing of Peacebuilding, Conflict Transformation and Social Cohesion projects.
- Profound knowledge of Project Management Cycle, its tools and application.
- Excellent knowledge of the context and peacebuilding needs in KRI and Iraq
- Good reporting and documentation skills
- Profound knowledge in PM&E processes
- Experience in conducting assessment, research and collecting data
- Excellent written and spoken Kurdish, Arabic and English language skills
- Excellent coordination skills and proven experience in management of larger projects
- Two years’ professional experience in international NGOs and/or institutions in Ninewa
- Experience in contacting and organizing meetings with respective authorities, officials and representatives of communities
- Experience in logistics and administration processes
- Strong professional communication and inter-personal skills and ability to engage with officials, local authorities and partner organizations. Ability to establish and maintain networks.
- The eligible candidate is independent, committed and reliable
- Flexibility and ability to adjust to changing circumstances and needs is required
- The project officer must be eligible to work in KRI and the Republic of Iraq
- Ability and willingness to travel to Ninewa and other areas of intervention outside of KRI
- Driver license and driving experience with a vehicle is required
- Commitment to and understanding of forumZFD aims, values and principles
How To Apply
forumZFD considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. We offer an attractive position with fixed term contract in a growing German Peacebuilding-NGO. In addition, a competitive salary with the possibility of further qualification and professional growth as well as friendly working atmosphere where team spirit is held in high regard.
The applicants must be sure that they are legally authorized to work in Iraq and K.R.I, especially in Erbil, Baghdad and Ninewa Governorate. The short-listed candidates will be asked a copy of their working permit/residency card. Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The interested candidates are kindly requested to submit the following until 22. February 2023:
- Letter of interest
- The CV of the candidate
- Relevant references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The application needs to be submitted to (in PDF format):
forumZFD Iraq office Erbil or via Email to: [email protected]
With the subject Project Officer – Erbil
We are looking forward to your application!
Deadline : 2023-02-22source: NCCI